AUDITION NOTICE!! Chess
by 2nd Star Productions
Come out and audition with award-winning 2nd Star Productions in Bowie, MD for our winter musical Chess!
This highly acclaimed musical develops the ancient and distinguished game of chess into a metaphor for romantic rivalries and East-West political intrigue. The principal pawns form a love triangle: the loutish American Grandmaster, the earnest Russian champion and the Hungarian-American female chess second, who arrives at the international championships with the American but falls for the Russian. From Tyrol to Thailand the players, lovers, politicians, CIA and KGB make their moves to the pulse of this monumental rock score.
Direction by Mickey Lund
Music Direction by Doug Dawson
Choreography by Karen Lacy
Dates: Monday, October 8 & Wednesday, October 10 at 7:00 PM, with Callbacks on Thursday, October 11 at 7:00 PM
Location: The Bowie Playhouse in Bowie, MD (16500 Whitemarsh Park Dr, Bowie, MD 20715)
Production Dates: January 25 – February 16, Fridays through Sundays
We welcome non-traditional casting - all roles are open to all races and ethnic diversities!
Rehearsals will be held on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays beginning October 23, with the exception of January 7 - 25 for which all will be called nearly every night of the week. No rehearsals will be held the week of Thanksgiving or from December 22-January 6 for the Holidays. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at 2ndStarBowie@gmail.com.
If you are auditioning:
· If you have one, bring a theatrical resume and a headshot (professional quality not necessary) or recent face picture for the casting team.
· Bring a written list of any and all remotely possible conflicts that you have or may have between the start of October 23 and January 24.
· Prepare 1 vocal piece, 16-32 bars in length, that shows vocal and acting range and provide sheet music in the correct key. An accompanist will be provided. No a cappella singing or recorded accompaniment please.
· Although the show contains minimal dancing, a movement exercise will be a part of the audition. Dress in comfortable shoes and clothing.
· Please note that candidates who are invited to callbacks will be asked to sing a selection from the score. It is strongly suggested that you familiarize yourself with the score.
Cast consists of 15 people (8 or 9 men, 6 or 7 women) as listed below:
FLORENCE VASSEY- Strong belt voice to E. Late Twenties to Early 40’s. Born in Hungary. Has been brought up in America since 1956. She is clever, theatrical, touching, vivacious, volatile. Frederick's chess "second."
FREDDIE TRUMPER – Rock tenor to C. Early Thirties to Early 40’s. An American chess champion. A cross between Bobby Fisher and John McEnroe. Arrogant and temperamental, but a genius; his chess playing revolutionary.
ANATOLY SERGIEVSKY – Baritone to G sharp. Early Thirties to Early 40’s. A Russian chess champion. Unexpectedly charming. He doesn't seem a romantic hero at first, but becomes one through his personality. An intelligent, feeling, passionate man.
ALEXANDER MOLOKOV – Bass down to F sharp. 50’s to Early 60’s. Not a fake, comic, stage Russian. Intellectually formidable. Seemingly a father figure to Florence. Soviet chess delegation leader.
SVETLANA SERGIEVSKY – Early 30’s to Early 40’s. Anatoly's wife. Domestic, wholesome, homey. A dramatic contrast to Florence - not a contemporary cosmopolitan woman.
WALTER DE COURCEY – Bass-Baritone down to G sharp. 50’s to Early 60’s. US chess delegation leader and spokesman for Global Television. Seemingly respectable, substantial, trustworthy.
ARBITER – (Male Preferred, but Open to Female) Rock high baritone up to A. 30’s to Early 40’s. International business leader. Smooth, but with a quick temper.
VIIGAND – Late 20’s to Mid 30’s. Soviet chess player. Anatoly’s second in Act I, the challenger in Act II. Ensemble member as well.
CITIZENS OF MERANO, REPORTERS, DELEGATES, CIVIL SERVANTS – Male and Female Ensemble